Aisyah


Forty years I’ve lived in the Solander building. It hasn’t changed. It’s good, but the people change. It’s safe now, with security 24 hours. Twenty years ago it wasn’t safe. We have a Concierge and everyone must report and sign in. Twenty years ago, it started getting worse with too much drugs. Not everybody - there were some good, some bad. We had big changes for the better.

I had to change myself, I became less friendly, not saying hello to everyone, and not spending time with uneducated people who might shout at me. They might find out where I live and I’m afraid they will hurt me. That’s why I want nothing to do with them. Their business is their business.

There’s usually a lot of fights. I hear them. A couple of months ago, they threw some people off the balcony. Some people cause trouble, lighting rubbish and throwing it down the chute; they turn on the water hose and the carpets get soaked.

All housing commission is the same. They should put them together, not mix them with us.
It’s very multicultural. I’ve been here a long time. I’ve seen many things.
People say I live in Waterloo, that’s a drug and alcohol place, but I don’t care, that’s not me. It’s not my business. I turn a blind eye. I don’t want to get involved. They do something bad, they should accept it.

It’s very strict now, miss one months rent and you get kicked out.(I remember when) bread cost 5c, milk was 5c, a newspaper 2c.
I live by myself. I’ve lived there and I’m happy. People should appreciate what they have. If there’s something wrong, they’ll fix it - carpets, stove, dryers.

It all depends on your neighbours. Mine are good - one Chinese, one Thai, two Australians and we all get along well. My neighbours, we are like brothers and sisters. We’ve grown old together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment